News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Amps  (Read 4223 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Amps
« on: 08, January, 2013 - 11:03:18 »
I couldn't find a thread about this. I've been having battery problems recently and just did some reading up regarding Ah ratings. It turns out that one of my batteries kicks out a huge 200A, and another barely manager 4A, both rated 40Ah, so of course it varies wildly. What I'm curious about though, does anyone know if there's a recommended minimum and maximum amp rating for a C5 that the motor and electrics can handle?

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: Amps
« Reply #1 on: 08, January, 2013 - 12:02:09 »
Are you reading the CCA value on the battery label? This is the cold cranking amps performance. No car battery would only offer a CCA of 4, in fact 200 is a low figure and would only suit a very small lowish compression engine. A more typical range is 350-550CCA. My 10.75:1 compression Rover V8 will just start from cold on 380CCA as an indication.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #2 on: 08, January, 2013 - 13:01:26 »
No, not CCA, amps. I've got a lot of batteries around and it's to do with calculating the Ah. One, from a Clio, is rated at 40Ah, but generates a huge 200A current making it (in theory at least) generate it's full output for about 12 minutes! Putting it on the C5 confirms this too as it went about 400 yards lol! Another, from a (I think) Seicento generates 4A on 40Ah, but really doesn't like turning the motor so again drains pretty quickly. That's why I wondered if there's a recommended amp output for the C5.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 08, January, 2013 - 13:26:15 »
Hi there it all depends on what you want and how far you want to go ..
The minimum Amp hour I would use would be say 40Amp hour ..But I only buy  75/85 hour  Battery's to give max distance and power .
but if you use the original key switch you are limited to about 40Amp battery...

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #4 on: 08, January, 2013 - 13:35:32 »
Hi Chas, got the clips yesterday, perfect so huge thanks! The problem is that 40Ah batteries vary a lot... I've got a few of them. Some only last a few hundred yards but I've been talking to Marty as I think it could be a fault with my POD. Generally a 40Ah battery should last at least a few miles though shouldn't it?

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #5 on: 08, January, 2013 - 16:24:50 »
Okay, seeing as you guys obviously know your stuff about batteries, here's my point. I've got 6 batteries in, all ex- car, and at most I can manage about 500 yards before the dreaded 20 second beep and it dies. All are good condition batteries, all are between 35-40 Ah, and all do the same thing which is why I was looking at the amp output as the cause.

The one nearest to me which I tried on a full charge yesterday and managed 200 yards has these specs:-

12 V
35 Ah
55 RV
275 CCA

Others are 40Ah on 300CCA etc, but none manage more than a few hundred yards, even with peddling. The one above is only 6 months old and took 5 minutes to charge to full again, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm sending my POD to Marty to see if it's a fault there, but I'm guessing these batteries should be able to manage more than this?

What doesn't help is that the POD lights don't work, further making me think it's a fault there. Is it worth direct wiring a motor to one to test it?

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #6 on: 08, January, 2013 - 17:06:06 »
If you have a battery that can be charged in 5 minutes then it's DUFF. If you charge a good battery in 5 minutes you would produce so much heat it would buckle the plates, that is of course if it didn't blow up on you.  :o :o

Your best bet is to take your batteries to a workshop an have a load test carried out.
« Last Edit: 08, January, 2013 - 17:08:07 by KarlG »

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #7 on: 08, January, 2013 - 17:14:27 »
No no no, you're misunderstanding... They aren't charging from flat in 5 minutes, I'm saying that when they're fully charged the C5 uses so little electric before it beeps that it only takes 5 minutes to fill them up again. It's as if the C5 uses the very first bit and doesn't like the rest.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #8 on: 08, January, 2013 - 17:17:48 »
Hi Danny - I think it is the pod shutting down and stopping your C5 not the battery at fault-Marty

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #9 on: 08, January, 2013 - 17:22:34 »
I was actually going to email you later! There's a local guy (actually who I bought my C5 from) and on Thursday he's going to put his POD on mine and see what happens but will endeavour to have it in the post to you on Friday :)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #10 on: 08, January, 2013 - 17:24:08 »
That's handy - lets us know what happens - Marty

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #11 on: 08, January, 2013 - 17:42:04 »
I will, I'll definitely end up with you either way with the control box because of the lights so will get it to you ASAP :)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #12 on: 08, January, 2013 - 20:01:45 »
Hi, have you looked at the Unofficial service manual.

http://c5alive.co.uk/index.php?com=pages&page=5

It goes through all about the battery calculations.

Lance

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #13 on: 08, January, 2013 - 20:05:59 »
I've had a look, but unless I'm being daft for the life of me I can't see where...