News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Ignition System!  (Read 3681 times)

c5boy90

Ignition System!
« on: 26, February, 2012 - 13:14:21 »
Hi all
The C5 that I am currently restoring is missing its ignition system so to get it working I had to connect it up to the battery however this is not ideal as it is connected all the time meaning that the battery will soon drain. I see there is an ignition and key for sale on ebay at the moment. Would it just be a case of wiring it up if I bought it or is it more complicated than that?

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: Ignition System!
« Reply #1 on: 26, February, 2012 - 15:28:20 »
It would just be a case of wiring it up.

Most here, however, would recommend the C5 Alive wiring kit, which gives you the option to use a wider range of batteries and apparently is more reliable too.

My personal C5 uses the original key switch assembly which I have never experienced a problem with. Having said that though, my C5 had seen virtually no use before I got it so the keyswitch may not have had time to start breaking down.

c5boy90

« Reply #2 on: 26, February, 2012 - 15:41:59 »
Yeah well I have had my other c5 for over 6 years and it uses the original key switch system and like you I have not had any bother with it but I may have a look at the c5alive wiring kit and see if I would mabye would be better off fitting that. Thanks for the reply.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 27, February, 2012 - 11:22:09 »
Ignition is the last thing one wants with a C5-check your wiring or carry a fire extuinguisher and be prepared to jump out real quick.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 27, February, 2012 - 11:56:07 »
Yeah well I have had my other c5 for over 6 years and it uses the original key switch system and like you I have not had any bother with it but I may have a look at the c5alive wiring kit and see if I would mabye would be better off fitting that. Thanks for the reply.

..the c5 I used for the 2007 London-Brighton run had an original keyswitch assembly fitted , and it was the only component to fail.

Personally I always bin the keyswitch and fit a c5alive wiring kit to all the c5's I restore...and especially any that I chose to sell on . It is one of the few areas where I chose the extra reliability over originailty.

c5boy90

« Reply #5 on: 27, February, 2012 - 12:03:12 »
Yeah I think I will just fit the c5alive wiring kit since I am restoring it anyway I might as well fit things that are more reliable.
Thanks!

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 27, February, 2012 - 12:10:20 »
Yeah I think I will just fit the c5alive wiring kit since I am restoring it anyway I might as well fit things that are more reliable.
Thanks!

..the shop side is still being worked on, email me if you want one.

Karl