News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Alternative to the Sinclair chain tensioner  (Read 9742 times)

TRminator

Alternative to the Sinclair chain tensioner
« on: 20, October, 2010 - 21:17:04 »
I've managed to get around my lack of chain tensioner.....

I broke my front calliper when stripping it down and managed to pick this replacement up on eBay:-

« Last Edit: 20, October, 2010 - 21:21:53 by TRminator »

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
Re: Alternative to the Sinclair chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 20, October, 2010 - 21:30:34 »
Awesome mate. where is that from?

TRminator

« Reply #2 on: 20, October, 2010 - 21:42:20 »
I picked the chain tensioner up on eBay.  It's a chain tensioner/converter for converting a bike from gears to single speed.  It cost about £12.  The bracket was something a mechanical engineer where I work had lying around that I adapted to suit this application.  The tensioner is self sprung.
« Last Edit: 20, October, 2010 - 22:58:08 by TRminator »

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 20, October, 2010 - 21:52:35 »
very neat solution to the chain tensioner, i'd say better than original and even converted versions.

i bought new brake blocks of ebay, listed as 'old school brake blocks' they have 3 blobs on the friction face, i remember these as a kid, being sold then as superior in the wet because of the tread.

think the blocks on my 2 machines are possibly original fit, as both were as hard as cement, so hopefully they will be a bit more effective, just need to get another steel front wheel for the 'yellow peril' now  ;D.

Alan

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 21, October, 2010 - 06:42:45 »
Top stuff, just the job  ;)

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 21, October, 2010 - 18:50:16 »
Well done that man a great solution for the chain tensioner !

marcdonnelly

« Reply #6 on: 21, October, 2010 - 19:43:54 »
nice idea but i perfer to keeep my c5,s 100% orignal with 100% geniune parts.... ;D

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 21, October, 2010 - 20:00:11 »
nice idea but i perfer to keep my c5,s 100% original with 100% genuine parts.... ;D

You'll struggle with the batteries then  ;D .

I agree that there is a place for the "concourse" approach, but if you're using a c5 on the various c5alive meetings and events it makes perfect sense to use a bit of "improvise,adapt and overcome" - especially if you're on a tight budget . A cheaper option that does the job just as well and keeps the c5 running is no bad thing  8).

TRminator

« Reply #8 on: 21, October, 2010 - 22:16:32 »
Cheers lads - yeah, I'm pretty happy with it,I must admit.  The original design was less than a work of genius. 
Funnily enough BooBo, it was your "improvise, adapt and overcome" mantra that was in my head when I decided to look at cheaper and possibly better alternatives to the original tensioner.  As for the keeping it 100% original ideology... I too, like BooBoo alludes, can't help thinking that there's a bit of a "Ship of Theseus"/"John Lock's Socks" element involved with classic vehicle ownership that's hard to deny and renders the argument invalid.  Hopefully, thanks to these cobbled together bits, and other genuine second hand spares, I'll end up with a second C5 fullfilling it's Raison d'être rather than sitting rusting in a garage or being broken up for spares.  Fingers crossed. 

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 22, October, 2010 - 08:07:51 »
Well done great job ......Chas

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 22, October, 2010 - 18:28:56 »
....  Hopefully, thanks to these cobbled together bits, and other genuine second hand spares, I'll end up with a second C5 fullfilling it's Raison d'être rather than sitting rusting in a garage or being broken up for spares.  Fingers crossed. 

Good to hear you're putting another one back on the road  8)

TRminator

« Reply #11 on: 22, October, 2010 - 19:24:12 »
Fingers crossed.  She had no control box, but I bought off Marc (eBay), fitted it, connected the batery and the engine spun, slowly and very briefly, and I could hear a relay clicking in the box.  The motor quickly died and soon the relay stopped clicking and.... nothing.  I'm going to drop 'er round to an electrical engineer I work with to see what he can do with 'er"  Yup.  Fingers crossed.  Have you ever come across anything similar
 BooBoo? ???

marcdonnelly

« Reply #12 on: 22, October, 2010 - 23:37:55 »
yes i sold you a  100 % tested fully working control box  i no it was  100 % perfect  because it was on my old c5 worked 100% perfect..... with a tested pod bye chas and everything was perfect no clicking at all maybe you have problems elsewhere  ????.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #13 on: 23, October, 2010 - 07:23:58 »
Have you stripped the motor and checked the brushes ?

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 23, October, 2010 - 11:34:23 »
You need to go through a process of elimination, to confirm exactly what is working and what is not. 

I'd check the motor out by directly connecting it to the battery, that way you know for certain if it works or not.

Next would be to load test the batteries...?

Then maybe get Marty or Chas could take another look at the pod.