C5ALIVE Forum

C5 Help => C5 Support => Topic started by: R8 on 21, December, 2012 - 19:30:18

Title: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: R8 on 21, December, 2012 - 19:30:18
Hi all,

You have all been so very helpful on my post on the 'welcome' section.

I thought I would post my next question in this section, hopefully it is the right one!

The C5 I acquired does not have a battery or the two plastic bits that go over the top. It does have the key lock still attached. I have found some advice on this site regarding which battery to buy (the amazon one seems to be a good suggestion) but I would like some advice on how to actually connect the battery to the wiring if someone would kindly oblige?

I should have attached two pictures below of what I have in the foot well.

(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bEjqFaywPEg/UNS1FAo-xsI/AAAAAAAAAEM/tlq5HMpKFOc/s320/WP_000159+(2).jpg)

(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Yt2XhX7qr0/UNS1NgN2uBI/AAAAAAAAAEU/dDuQp9fWgsY/s320/WP_000160+(2).jpg)

Thanks
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: Luke S on 21, December, 2012 - 19:54:12
You could get these

http://c5alive.co.uk/index.php?com=shop&display=product&id=35 (http://c5alive.co.uk/index.php?com=shop&display=product&id=35)
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: Karl on 22, December, 2012 - 09:10:26
I've no idea what the red wire is for  :-\ and I would urge caution when converting to battery clamps - if you get the polarity mixed up you will cause damage.

We hope to get some more wiring kits made up next month so if you can wait that long it would be a simple fix to use one of those.
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: Luke S on 22, December, 2012 - 12:19:14
Save a wiring kit for me please  :) :) :)
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER on 22, December, 2012 - 15:05:02
Hi there just as Karl Say's urge caution if you intend to use battery clamps as it is possible to connect them the wrong way around for just  a split second and you will blow the control box/pod ...I have been restoring C5s for many years and I can say  that I have done the same thing a couple of time while testing the electronics ....so beware
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: R8 on 22, December, 2012 - 19:47:01
Excellent. Exactly the information I needed.

I think I would rather wait for a wiring conversation kit than blow the control box! Does that mean I have to loose the keylock? (ill be sad about that).

Ill enjoy pedalling it around until then.
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: Karl on 23, December, 2012 - 09:00:27
Quote from: R8 on  22, December, 2012  - 19:47:01
Does that mean I have to loose the keylock? (ill be sad about that).


..removing the keyswitch assembly was one of the main reasons the wiring kit was created. Due to ageing and it becoming increasingly unreliable, it is the keyswitch assembly that is the first thing to go  ;)
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER on 23, December, 2012 - 09:12:25
Hi there there is still a market for the key switch if it has a key and the condition is good ...
Bye Chas

Regarding the red wire I think you will find that it is the posative wire off the motor..
Don't let the key go untill you have a copy....
Title: Re: Buying and Connecting a Battery
Post by: KarlG on 23, December, 2012 - 12:49:47
Hi R8,

this may be of some use to you as far as the wiring is concerned.

(http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w477/XE521/Page17_zpsf2ddc327.jpg)

EDIT: Visable link removed.