News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Braking  (Read 4452 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Braking
« on: 18, September, 2009 - 21:17:51 »
Went for a ride this evening before it got dark.  Went to visit my Grandad, who was impressed, and thought the C5 was something new this year!!  Grandparents eh?

Whilst riding to his house, I sped down a hill, at which he is near the bottom.

I was going too fast, I needed to brake.  I pulled the right hand side brake, and it was too weak to slow the C5!  So, I tried the left one, and think I must have pulled it either too hard or too quick.  There was a loud bang and no slowing!  (I say 'bang' as it sounded like something went 'bang', but it could be that the pressure of the break on the wheel wasn't working or something)!?!?

I tried again but more gently, and this managed to slow the C5.  I've noticed that this left hand brake seems to slow the rear wheel.  Last night when I used the left brake, it stopped the C5 quickly with a skid.  Is this normal?

When I had stopped, there was a worrying smell of burning.  Please someone tell me I haven't wrecked it already?  I'm hoping it was just the brakes rubbing and smelling funny...  Please - someone re-assure me that I haven't just written off my C5!!  ???

I haven't ridden it since, yet I did manage to ride it onto the drive, so it was still working after I broke/braked?
« Last Edit: 18, September, 2009 - 21:26:37 by mike7201 »

Karl

Re: Braking
« Reply #1 on: 18, September, 2009 - 21:36:40 »
The c5 has two brakes, a bicycle style caliper on the front that is operated from the right hand  brake lever, and a rear brake that is operated from the left hand lever. The rear brake only works on the "offside" rear wheel - there is no brake attached to the "nearside" rear wheel (the side with the motor).

Given that you were legging it at speed down a hill, I'm assuming you've fried the front plastic wheel - hence the smell of burning.

I did something similar on the L2B, which is why two of my c5's now have steel front wheels fitted  8)

The only concern I have is whether you may have trashed a brake shoe at the rear, since it sounds similar to what happened to Umpa.

You'll need to remove the rear wheel and take a look to be certain.   

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 18, September, 2009 - 22:00:08 »
Its worth knowing that even when they do work correctly, the brakes are'nt very good, my front cable broke last year when attempting the Brooklands hill climb, and the rear one broke this year on the Royal Run, I was lucking it did'nt break when we wer doing speeds of over 25 mph approching a crossroads down a hill in Sandringham. They do need checking, cleaning and adjusting from time to time, but it does sound like your front brake may have got really hot.

Retro Andy.   

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #3 on: 18, September, 2009 - 22:48:34 »
Thanks guys.  That's a relief I guess.  At least it's not the motor or electrics that must mean the cost of repair or maintenance would be somewhat cheaper.

Now, is there a part on this forum which could show me how to examine the C5 in better detail?  I haven't a clue how to lift the boot off to see the motor, nor do I know how to remove a back wheel hub or anything else for that matter.  Will it all come naturally, or is it just easy when you know?

Thanks again,

Mike  :)

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 18, September, 2009 - 23:00:28 »
Mike, take a look at the forum guide;
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=627.0

..in there is a link to the owners manual, which is also available on the download section of the main site. Well worth browsing though.

The forum guide also directs you to C5Martin's tech tips section, which is also accessed via the forum index page.

If you get stuck, just ask mate - we've all been there nervously dismantling a c5 for the very first time. A real mixture of excitement,anxiety and outright fear  ;D

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 19, September, 2009 - 18:31:13 »
yes braking brakes - horrid !  but Team C5Alive saved the day as always :)

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 19, September, 2009 - 19:36:37 »
Mike - this thread might be of use ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=342.0