News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: C5 Motor dead?  (Read 15913 times)

Offline USA-C5-Owner

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
C5 Motor dead?
« on: 11, November, 2014 - 17:57:30 »
Just purchase a c5 stateside.  Went to test the motor and pulled the red and black leads out of the control box and gator clipped them to a spare car battery...  Nothing...  Does this mean my motor is toast?  Anything else to try?  Any work-around fixes?   Also anyway to test the control board and POD?   I was thinking of just running the motor from a switch and 70amp 12v relay, but if the motor dosn't spin what are my options?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: C5 Motor dead?
« Reply #1 on: 11, November, 2014 - 19:49:01 »
Hi I think that you will find that the Carbon brushers are stuck in there tubes .What you can try is spray some releasing agent WD40 .it the tubes Then take a look down the tubes and you should see some copper braiding that is attached to the brushers what you have to do is pull on the braiding but be careful not to pull to hard pull it up then push it down a little un till it is  free then try the motor .
If it does not work get back to me
Bye Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #2 on: 11, November, 2014 - 22:43:30 »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will take the motor out this weekend and take it apart and get back to you!!!

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 12, November, 2014 - 08:22:48 »
Hi you don't have to take it apart just to move to move the brushers up and down ...but if you are going to strip it down let me know and I can run you through it
Bye Chas

Offline leylandmonster

« Reply #4 on: 12, November, 2014 - 12:13:04 »
The gearbox on one of my C5's refuses to remove itself from the motor. very frustrating  >:(

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 12, November, 2014 - 12:40:33 »
Hi not sure what you have done but you could first of all is to spray WD40 on the clips .once the clips have been opened (be careful not to break them ) you can get two screw drivers one on each side and place them down the side of the bolts ..then  gently try and ease the gearbox up ..
 Put in the search box at the top of the page Removing the gearbox you may find it useful

https://flic.kr/p/pKoNEp
« Last Edit: 12, November, 2014 - 12:54:05 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: 12, November, 2014 - 16:33:12 »
leylandmonster
When pulling on the tiny portion of brown gearbox plastic available began to damage it I stopped and placed a jubilee clip tightly around it. This gave me something more to lever against and worked.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 12, November, 2014 - 17:42:55 »
Hi there great idea I will be using it on my motors in future
Bye Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #8 on: 24, November, 2014 - 14:09:21 »
chas,

I removed the motor, have not taken it apart yet.  I "bench tested" it to 12V and still locked up solid.  I cannot spin it by hand either, should I be able to?.  What do I have to remove to see the carbon brushes and tubes?  Not sure what to push and pull on and wanted to ask before I broke it beyond repair.

Also, when taking the C5 apart, I removed the upper shell from the lower shell.  I know now I didn't have to do this.  Did I screw this up bad?  How do I re affix the two shells together?

Adam from the US.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 24, November, 2014 - 15:07:07 »
Hi you should be able to move it by hand .You may find that the bearings have seized up ...So it looks like the motor will have to be striped down if that is what you intend doing I can help you through it
Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #10 on: 25, November, 2014 - 02:19:52 »
Yeah Chas, It's locked up tight.   I would love some help!  I didn't ask on the body removal and we know that separating the halves were mistake.  Should have asked I guess...   Is there a walk thru of some type floating around?  Before I start, I will await your advice so I don't break it beyond repair.

Adam from the US

• Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 25, November, 2014 - 09:09:06 »
Hi there Adam regarding the c5 first thing you could do is to check out my videos on YouTube look under JORDAN8ISH

They should help then we can go through stripping servicing and rebuilding your C5
Bye Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #12 on: 25, November, 2014 - 22:28:11 »
I visted the youtube channel and book marked it.  Great videos!   Before I remove the two long top bolts, is there anything I should be aware of before opening up the casing?  Can I liberally lube up the entire contents with WD-40 or PB Blaster?  Is there any general do's or dont's before I crack it open?   Dont want to break beyond repair or I'll need to source a new one from on your side of the water.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #13 on: 26, November, 2014 - 09:27:37 »
 Hi there Adam not sure how far you have got but first of all I would take the gearbox off taking note how it comes off as there is a key way slot on the outer case all you have to do is to mark the gear box casing and the motor as they need to go back the same way
Any way check out these old posts from members they should help
Bye chas
https://flic.kr/p/pfuu6E

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=367.0

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0

..should be enough to get you on the right path, any snags give us a shout  ;D

Not forgetting the gearbox removal topic;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1217.0

Sent from my iPad
« Last Edit: 26, November, 2014 - 09:46:19 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #14 on: 26, November, 2014 - 13:39:42 »
Great links.  I will take apart the motor this weekend and see whats going on in it.  Do I only need to grease the gearbox?  Or the armature as well?  What kind of grease do I use?

Thanks!