News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Another problem coming to the fore ?  (Read 2641 times)

Karl

Another problem coming to the fore ?
« on: 17, July, 2011 - 11:12:08 »
During a recent c5 restoration I've noticed another problem that may start cropping up more often as the c5's age and the wear and tear starts to take its toll.

This is a picture of the "pipe" or "sleeve"  that slides over the drive belt side of the rear axle. This item fits between the axle ,over the splines, and the large white drive cog. The sprag bearing ( http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1859.0 ) grips this "pipe" when drive is applied via the motor.

This link takes you to the rear wheel build sequence to help visualise where the part fits;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=342.0

As you can see from the picture, it has started to suffer some damage ;

...I discovered this damage while searching for the cause of a "grumbling bearing" type noise thinking I would have to replace the roller bearing in the motor mount or the sprag bearing in the white drive cog.

Just another thing to consider if your c5 starts to make a similar noise !

Not sure what the solution is at the moment, other than to replace the worn part. If it becomes more of a common problem then we might have to get our thinking caps on to find a replacement ?
« Last Edit: 17, July, 2011 - 11:15:51 by BooBoo »

ScubaChris

Re: Another problem coming to the fore ?
« Reply #1 on: 17, July, 2011 - 11:55:30 »
Karl,

Are you sure the sprag bearing hasn't got any damaged rollers? It really seems to have bitten into the metal sleeve there much more than usual. I assume you have a spare sleeve but if not then I have one that you're welcome to. It's not in fantastic condition but it's much better than the one in your picture!

C.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #2 on: 17, July, 2011 - 12:19:01 »
Hi Karl,

I had a similar issue with my 2nd C5 and I had to change both the sleave and the bearings. Not had an issue since but on the other hand not re-checked - but I will just to see if all is ok.

thanks for the heads-up, Lance

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 17, July, 2011 - 18:02:39 »
Karl,

Are you sure the sprag bearing hasn't got any damaged rollers? It really seems to have bitten into the metal sleeve there much more than usual. I assume you have a spare sleeve but if not then I have one that you're welcome to. It's not in fantastic condition but it's much better than the one in your picture!

C.

I have checked the sprag bearing and all seems well ,so a bit of a mystery really ..I will keep an eye on it though.

ScubaChris

« Reply #4 on: 17, July, 2011 - 18:21:28 »
Karl,

C.

I have checked the sprag bearing and all seems well ,so a bit of a mystery really ..I will keep an eye on it though.

Or there's always the possibility that the previous owner replaced the knackered bearing but not the sleeve? Ah these C5s have such colourful histories.  ;)

C.