News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Wheel detached?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Wheel detached?
« on: 16, September, 2011 - 19:56:58 »
Just been for a big run which ended badly when I lost all drive from both peddle and throttle

Having a look underneath it seems that the axel is no longer 'gripping' the rear left wheel. So the axel turns but the wheel stays still. I will try to get a photo / video of what I mean.

I think it's just the left wheel as when I coasted down a light hill the rear brakes worked fine. That large disk stops me from being able to see if the same thing is happening.

Any suggestions?

** SOLVED **

Don't worry just needed to tighten that wheel, it was a bit loose and slipping over the hub. First time getting under the bonnet and all became clear.

Still getting a bit of chain slippage when I'm really pushing hard to get up a hill for instance. Is that normal?
« Last Edit: 16, September, 2011 - 20:11:17 by thedesigntailor »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Wheel detached?
« Reply #1 on: 16, September, 2011 - 20:21:00 »
Chain slip is common, possible chain stretch .. 8)

Have a look at the link below.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=310.msg10732;topicseen#msg10732

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 16, September, 2011 - 21:38:14 »
Just been for a big run which ended badly when I lost all drive from both peddle and throttle

Having a look underneath it seems that the axel is no longer 'gripping' the rear left wheel. So the axel turns but the wheel stays still. I will try to get a photo / video of what I mean.

I think it's just the left wheel as when I coasted down a light hill the rear brakes worked fine. That large disk stops me from being able to see if the same thing is happening.

Any suggestions?

** SOLVED **

Don't worry just needed to tighten that wheel, it was a bit loose and slipping over the hub. First time getting under the bonnet and all became clear.

Still getting a bit of chain slippage when I'm really pushing hard to get up a hill for instance. Is that normal?

Dan - as you are using your c5 quite a bit more than most of the rest of us I'd advise regularly checking all the vital nuts and bolts for tightness, especially the locking nut at the front of the front brake assembly. Other places to check are the chassis bolts and all the wheel nuts. Even though it was recently overhauled, it is still a 26yr old vehicle and will need regular checking - especially as it was recently completely stripped and reassembled. If the problem persists with that rear wheel, and it may be worth keeping a close eye on it for the next few runs, use a small dab of threadlock - it is preferable to overtightening and damaging the thread. Any snags give me a call.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #3 on: 16, September, 2011 - 22:17:51 »
Thanks Karl and Plod.

I'm only getting a bit of slip, which sounds normal so I think the chain is probably fine.

I'll go around and have a good tighten tomorrow. Least I found out I can fit her in an A Class (just and no passengers).

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #4 on: 17, September, 2011 - 23:21:14 »
I think I lost a Y clip when I had her on the side checking what was wrong (on grass of course!). Do you have stocks currently Karl?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 18, September, 2011 - 05:46:33 »
I think I lost a Y clip when I had her on the side checking what was wrong (on grass of course!). Do you have stocks currently Karl?

Chas has the best solution;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2007.0

..and we also do these ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=200

** just checked the links, looks like the shop side is not quite working as it should . Click on "everything" on the menu on the left and it should all become clear  ;)
« Last Edit: 18, September, 2011 - 05:48:31 by BooBoo »

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #6 on: 19, September, 2011 - 15:21:32 »
Still not working Karl - how much is Chas's replacement? I only really need the Y clip for now, is there a benefit to replacing the whole caboodle.

There is definitely something wrong with the shop, if I click on anything there is nothing there. My lads could have a look if you want - they've used Oscommerce before.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #7 on: 19, September, 2011 - 15:39:29 »

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 20, September, 2011 - 08:02:40 »
This link works ok from my PC, let me know if you're still having snags.

http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/index.php?cPath=19

..the shop side of the site is being sorted soon hopefully but it is still hobbling along at the moment  ;)

joggaeco

« Reply #9 on: 21, October, 2011 - 00:46:41 »
I normally check the non motor side of the wheel nut as a routine before riding, as it tends to loosen, to avoid the problem, also I carry a spanner set. The solution could be a nylonic nut as a lock nut, but still check.

The tendancy for the brakes to lock is probably one reason why they loosen?

Happy C5ing!
Joggaeco